The U.S. Open was hit with tragedy on Friday when an elderly man passed away from natural causes at Erin Hills, according to Megan Pospychala of Fox6Now.com. He was 94 years old and the medical examiner was called around 2 p.m., per Pospychala.
The United States Golf Association (USGA) released the following statement:
“The USGA was saddened to learn that a spectator at Erin Hills passed away a short time ago. Out of respect for the family, we are unable to provide additional information at this time. Our thoughts and prayers are with those surrounding this individual during this difficult time.”
The Washington County Sheriff’s Office reported that the spectator died near the sixth hole at Erin Hills.
The saddening news comes a day after there was another near tragedy on Thursday when a blimp went down in flames at the course. Fortunately, one person, who was presumably the pilot was able to get out of the blimp, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The person did suffer burn injuries from the accident.
There was also E. coli bacteria traces found int he drinking water at Erin Hills during the U.S. Open on Thursday. It was believed that water in one hydration station on the course was impacted.
E. Coli Found in Erin Hills Drinking Water: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
Officials say traces of E. coli bacteria were found at a drinking water station during the U.S. Open at Erin Hills Golf Course. Free waters will be given out.
Click here to read more