The Nintendo Switch received a system update today in the form of update 4.0.0. Unlike previous system updates for the console, this one brings some pretty major changes. One of the coolest features to be included is the ability to have video capture of select games.
The update doesn’t go into great deal about the games that allow capturing but we can confirm most of Nintendo’s first-party titles on the console: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS and Splatoon 2. To use this feature, you have to hold on to the capture button and it will record the last 30 seconds of gameplay. The Xbox One and PS4 include features such as this so it’s cool to see Nintendo introduce their own feature.
If a game is not compatible, you’ll be greeted with a message in the top left-hand corner of the screen saying videos cannot be captured for this software. We’ll likely be seeing more games include the feature later on, possibly starting as soon as Fire Emblem Warriors on Friday.
Outside of that update, we also have a couple new user profile icons from Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. Certain games now have an option to be pre-purchased and you’ll now be able to transfer saves and accounts between consoles. Nintendo also told us how to install the update if you’re having trouble.
- If your Nintendo Switch is connected to the internet, your console will download the update automatically.
- Once the download is complete, you’ll be asked if you’d like to install the update. Be sure to save any game progress before you continue.
- When you’re ready to install the update, choose “update” to install. Your console will restart to complete the update.
Here are the full patch notes for today’s update as well as what has been added in a previous update.
Improvements Included in Version 4.0.0
- Video capture for select games
- New profile icons featuring characters from the Super Mario Odyssey™ game and The Legend of Zelda™: Breath of the Wild game
- Transfer user profiles and save data to another system
- Pre-purchase option is available for certain games on Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch
Learn more about these features on the Support site
- Add friends from your Nintendo 3DS™ and Wii U™ Friend Lists to your Nintendo Switch™ console’s Friend List.
- Opt to receive notifications for when your friends appear online.*
- Search for missing controllers.
- Search for and subscribe to game-specific news content from the News List screen.
- Increase and decrease system volume via the Quick Settings menu. Headphone volume can also be set to a higher level.