The La Tuna/Burbank fire began as a brush fire in La Tuna on Friday afternoon and quickly spread into a 2,000-acre fire nearing Burbank, California as of early Saturday morning. The fire spread quickly because of high temperatures and winds, which carried the fire across the freeway, ABC 10 News reported.
The 210 freeway was closed in both directions due to the fire’s spread. It will remain closed from Lowell to San Fernando Road, likely through Saturday morning, The OCR reported.
Here is a list of the areas that have been evacuated so far according to the LAFD, as of Saturday morning just after midnight:
- Homes in Haines Canyon and Reverie were under voluntary/precautionary evacuations as of 11 p.m.
- Homes in the Brace Canyon Park area of Burbank are under mandatory evacuation as of 10:40 p.m.
- These mandatory evacuation areas in Brace Canyon Park include Haven Wy from Joaquin to the top, Olney Pl., Ramey Pl, Mystic View, and View Crest as of 10:40 p.m.
- An evacuation center is set up at Sunland Rec Center at 8651 Foothill Blvd and pets are welcome there. The Red Cross is also setting up a second evacuation center in Burbank at McCambridge Park (1515 North Glenoaks Boulevard in Burbank) according to the LAFD.
To stay up-to-date on the latest evacuation news, do one or more of the following:
- Follow @LAFD on Twitter and choose to receive mobile notifications whenever a new tweet is made.
- Visit www.lafd.org/alerts and click on “Sign Up for Alerts” at the top right of the page. You’ll need to include your email and choose the bureau that you want alerts from. Be sure to choose Brush Fire and Fire among your choices.
- Text FOLLOW LAFD to 40404 to get text alerts
The latest alert, sent at 11:20 p.m. local time on Friday, read:
Update Brush Fire; 11:20PM; 10850 W La Tuna Canyon Rd; Sun Valley; We understand the concern of many residents seeing visible flames from #LaTunaFire. Due to erratic fire behavior, driven by strong, gusting winds, we are not able to give a firm prediction on all areas potentially at risk. We do have MANDATORY evacuation orders for the following streets in the Brace Canyon Park area of Burbank (Haven Wy frm Joaquin to the top. Olney Pl, Ramey Pl., Mystic View, View Crest) Please follow @burbankpd for the latest on those areas. Approximately 50 homes threatened in that area and the fire will likely reach the defensive lines at those homes in 30 mins. The current evacuation center is at Sunland Recreation Center (8651 Foothill Blvd, Sunland-Tujunga, CA 91040) but the Red Cross is now sending volunteers to open an additional evacuation center in Burbank at McCambridge Park (1515 North Glenoaks Boulevard, Burbank CA 91504). The LaTunaFire is burning in 4 different directions to include down over the hills towards Burbank as well as north through the canyons above the 210 freeway (Map being posted to twitter @lafd momentarily). We emphasis that anyone feeling unsafe in their homes, despite existence of an evacuation order, should not delay leaving. You can call 911 to report your home under threat of the fire and you should then safely evacuate, do not wait until it is too late. Please continue to follow @LAFD (twitter) for breaking news and all updates will post to our website http://www.lafd.org/alerts where you can sign up to receive them directly.; FS 77; Batt 12; Valley Bureau; Council District 7; Margaret Stewart